10.21.2007

Stickmen in stitches

I've wanted to try my hand at embroidery for some time now but didn't know what to stitch. My boys have been fascinated with stick figures since buying this book. I decided to reinterpret some of their sketches.


This is one of many drawings my 9yo did while we were at a coffee house performance a few weeks ago. The kids got bored really quickly after their dad took his turn playing bagpipes and one of the nice church ladies brought them crayons, markers and paper plates. To take this photo, I had to track down my finished piece. It was wadded up in his bedroom, hence the wrinkles.


My 5yo did this drawing, titled "This is me! I am special?" in his kindergarten class. At first, I omitted the light saber but he insisted I put it in, lol.

Seeing how easy it was, I now want to find some coloring or children's book illustrations to work from. Maybe Christmas-themed.

6 comments:

Natalie, the Chickenblogger said...

I love embroidery, and I think it always looks wonderful when it preserves a child's art... the look is so charming. These are first attempts? Looks great! I bet if you set out the Christmas themed illustrations for inspiration, your children could give you a fresh batch of embroidery illustrations. Something to try: Find an iron-on transfer pencil. Their drawings could be directly transfered to your fabric.
Funny... I was about to post about some embroidery I unpacked last night...

Amy said...

Love this! I just transferred a drawing that my niece did to an apron. I'm stitching it for my sister for chirstmas.

Anonymous said...

Great job and love the kiddies art work. Embroidery is so much fun and I find it relaxing.

jen said...

Oh my gosh! So cute. What a great great project. How fun. I think you did really good, precious memories!
jenn

~Red Tin Heart~ said...

I love it all! His stichery and yours. Children are so unique in their ability to see themselves as artists. I saved my children's drawings and put them in a photo album to look at. And you know, they still get that out occassionally and look at it, and they are all grown. xoxo Nita

MadeByAmanda said...

How could you omit the lightsaber? Lightsabers are so cool!