10.25.2007

Something old, something new

No, not as in a wedding. I just have two things I want to share with you. One I've had for many years. The other I got from an Etsy shop just yesterday.


After my first son was born, my mom gave me this Hummel, "Little Drummer." It was put away in a dining room cabinet along with other breakables for years. Then I remembered it was there and brought it out. My son had started playing snare drum in the bagpipe band by then.


Shall I play for you, pa rum pum pum pum, On my drum?
("The Little Drummer Boy" was my favorite animated holiday special when I was little.)



I was browsing around Etsy earlier in the week, looking for Christmas gifts and bought this one for myself. My own "Little Drummer Boy" charm from a shop called Objects of Affections.


Lani takes adorable images from vintage children's books, puts them between glass and solders them together to create one-of-a-kind charms. I collect old kids' books mostly for their illustrations so this jumped right out at me when I saw it.


I added a piece of tartan ribbon (perfect to tie it in with my family's bagpipe band affiliation) and am wearing it today.

(BTW, the drum instruction book in the background was my dad's. He played drums in a bagpipe band nearly 40 years ago.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy that you love your little drummer pendant! Thanks so very much for including me in your wonderful blog! ;)

Lani ;)

Natalie, the Chickenblogger said...

Charming post.
Lani... love your charms!
Oh, that's 2 charms tee hee...

Anonymous said...

Oh so wonderfully appropriate. I will have to find a little drummer boy of my own. Oh I have one...but he is not so little anymore, is he? Sometimes I miss my little boy.
Juliet :) :(