4.11.2008

Books for my blogiversary

One year ago today, I started this blog. I found that I was writing way too much about my creative pursuits over on The Moms Blog.

I was hoping back then that having a place to share what I was working on would keep me motivated. Boy, it sure has. If you don't count having babies, this is the most productive I've been since college.

And wow, my photography has improved. It's almost embarrassing, lol.

On to the books. These are some of my finds over the past few months. I have a really hard time passing up some titles, even if the covers look horrible or if I won't ever read them. They are so interesting, I leaf through the pages and look them up online. The stories behind the stories are fascinating.

The first book is the International Library of Technology's Architects' Blueprints and Specifications, published in 1925. Full of definitions and architectural drawings including many fold-out pages like in the photo. I didn't take a picture of it but the book's endpages are a beautiful dark green marble print.

The second book is The A.B.C's of Architecture by Matlack Price, 1927. The title page describes it as "Profusely Illustrated" and has a drawing reminiscent of Stonehenge, lol.

Everyone has seen these photographs before, I'm sure. They are by Lennart Nilsson in the book A Child is Born first printed in Sweden in 1965. My copy is the first American edition from a year later. Amazing creatures we are, right from the start.

It was the photo opposite the title page that got me to look closer at this one. It is "Hon. William Howard Taft, formerly Chairman, Board of Directors, Life Extension Institute, Inc." The book, How to Live, Rules for Healthful Living Based on Modern Science, was first published in 1915 (my copy is from 1929, the 18th edition).

His foreward to the 15th edition in 1918, speaks about a nation at war's strength lying in human vitality. A quick peek on Wikipedia revealed he lost 80 lbs after his presidency (1909-13) essentially extended his life. He must have practiced what he preached.

This is one of those books where the story behind the story touched me. Tah-kee, The Boy from Nowhere was written and illustrated by Carl Moon in 1932. His story is fascinating, as is that of his wife Grace Purdie Moon, who co-authored many books about Native Americans with him.

Did you know that before the Steve Martin movie, there was a 1950 version of The Father of The Bride? And before that there was this novel written by Edward Streeter and illustrated by Gluyas Williams?

I keep finding vintage ballet books like First Steps in Ballet: Basic Barre Exercises for Home Practice by Thalia Mara from 1955.


Black Frontiers: Pioneer Adventures with Cecil Rhodes in Africa (1931), by Englishman Sam Kemp, describes his 1889-92 exploratory and military trip through Southern and Eastern Africa with Cecil Rhodes' Mounted Police. (The language of the period is politically incorrect today but it is still a good read.)

I don't limit myself to styles, eras or topics, do I? LOL That will make it all that much easier to give one away for my blogiversary. Leave me a comment and tell which of these books you want for your own. I'll draw a name or two next week.

7 comments:

Danielle said...

Me me me! I want a baby is born of course! :)

-Danielle

Sarah B. B. said...

Congrats on the blogiversary! I love those books, the ballet ones in particular. You've got a great eye for old books!

The Feathered Nest said...

Happy Blogiversary, sweet friend ~ so glad you're here and I wish you many, many more posts, and amazing photographs for you to share with us! I just love books so count me in!!! xxoo, Dawn

Unknown said...

Congratulation Julie - I love reading about your pursuits and your passions. I admire your ability to carve out this time to create online for all of us to enjoy. I hope this blog continues for many years to come.

Elizabeth Byrns

Rebecca said...

A year already!?! Congratulations on the anniversary...and many more!

Natalie, the Chickenblogger said...

Happy Blogiversary! Isn't it amazing to have a year of your life chronicled... it's been a pleasure for us. Cheers for you and your beautiful blog! And cheers for all of your interesting books.

G.L.H. said...

Happy blogiversary! I always enjoy reading your blog. I can't decide between the baby is born book or the ballet book (I remember reading that one in grade school!)

--Barbara