12.10.2010

Furniture refashion


This couch was a collaborative effort for my friend's parents.
Her dad made the base and her late mom made the cushions.
While the fabric was a gorgeous cranberry velour,
it was dated and had seen better days.


I was honored that she asked me to recover it for her father.
They picked out a stunning Waverly print in cranberry and gold
and provided me with the fabric and all the notions.


I swear if you can measure, cut and sew straight lines
you could cover cushions just like them yourself.
Biggest issue for me was cutting out the large pieces --
on the floor, on my hands and knees.
My back ached for several days afterward.


Each cushion consists of a box with 6 sides sewn together.
The last side I cut down the middle, added a zipper
and then sewed it onto the rest of the box. 
It took a bit of wrestling to get the foam inside
but that meant the covers fit nice and snuggly.


Each back cushion was tufted with fabric-covered buttons.
Even that was easy thanks to Dritz button cover kits.
Each one on the front was attached to one on the back,
adding a nice detail for very little time or money.

I can't wait to see pictures of the pieces back on the couch.
When I get them, I will share and show you
the other things I am going to make with extra fabric.

No comments: