4.03.2010

Burlap feed sack bulletin board

 I keep seeing things made from old feed sacks
in magazines and online so when I rediscovered this one
while cleaning out my workspace I knew to use it
Specifically tomake a bulletin board.

What a piece of local history!
Fort Orange was the original Dutch settlement
at what is now Albany, New York's capital.
I found two references online to Barber and Bennett
being in business in the mid-1800s and the mid-1900s.


This was the easiest thing in the world to make.
I used two new pieces of foam core from the dollar store.
Glued down batting and then the front of the feed sack,
just putting glue at the edges on the front and back.


The vintage trim around the edges is glued down,
but the crocheted piece on the bottom
is only pinned in place at this point.
I want to get a feel for where the piece
is going before I permanently afix more to it.

My boys all loved when it was the plain feed sack.
Now it is way "too girly" they say.
Perfect! It will remain mine that way.

No comments: