3.20.2010

Vogue Paris Originals

I've only sewn clothes from patterns twice in my life -- junior high home ec class and in my senior year when a friend helped me make a plain sheath dress from a school banquet. Neither time did I feel I was very good at it.

I'm certainly getting an education now, listing vintage patterns for a few friends. While I am more drawn to the fashions created from the patterns of the 1940s, these ones are the most stunning -- and valuable.

In 1949, Vogue Patterns introduced Vogue Paris Originals which, for the first time, allowed Paris couture garments to be reproduced in pattern form. Up until the mid-1970s, French designers were the most sought after and these four patterns fit into this category.

(Be sure to click on the photos for enlarged views.)

Pierre Cardin, 1967, uncut
One-piece, semi-fitted dress with bias standing collar and extended shoulders has slim bias sleeves with zippers at wrists. Front and back panel forming folds in skirt is top-stitched to hipline in front and back. Left shoulder closing and invisible side back zipper.

Christian Dior, 1964, some pieces cut SOLD
Semi-fitted A-shaped dress in two lengths has shaped plunging neckline. Coat in two lengths with rolled loop and tie collar has inset pockets. Bracelet length sleeves.

Christian Dior, 1960s, uncut
One-piece blouson dress has three-quarter length raglan sleeves with underarm gussets. Attached camisole. Slender skirt has shaped, self belt and box. Straight coat, with bias front and concealed snap closing, has bracelet length raglan sleeves and pockets in seams. Trim stitching.

Nina Ricci, 1967, uncut
Slightly-fitted jacket has standing bias collar and front zipper closing. Seven-eighths length kimono sleeves. Welt pockets and top-stitch trim. A-line skirt with bias front and straight grain back has shaped belt. Bias blouson blouse with back button closing has standing bias rolled collar and seven-eighths lenghth sleeves with bias roll up band.

My favorite is this very Jackie O. suit in pink. Besides patterns that are uncut, unused and with factory folds being more valuable, so are the ones that include the original sew-in fabric label.

All four of these patterns include their labels. For this reason, I am thinking of listing them on eBay instead of Etsy. During my research, I found prices were all over the map and have no idea what they are really worth.

If you are interested in any of these patterns, or have information to share, please leave a comment or email me at redhenstudios(at)aol.com.

No comments: