10.26.2009

Stu-stu-studio



I started this project weeks ago, and finally finished just in time for us to have visitors. Let's see how long I can keep it this way.

You see, I live by the motto on a button badge I got back in high school -- "I'm not messy. I'm creative."

A place for everything and everything in its place, for now. I'd love to get rid of all the plastic bins but they hold a whole lot of fabric. I'm not willing to follow dh's suggestion of getting rid of the antique furniture and make built-ins instead.

The closet inside the archway holds all the items I have for sale on Etsy. Now in there I would love to build in shelves to better make use of the space.

While the upright piano takes up a lot of room, I won't be getting rid of that either. It was once in my grandparents' parlor. I've enjoyed getting on my laptop using the vintage wooden ironing board as my table.

I know I've shown this vignette before but I have added to it. The green metal case looks like a metal purse. The handle lifts up and the two lids open toward the ends. It now holds all my spools of thread neatly.

I even made Alice more comfortable. That is an soft-sided American Tourister suitcase with her pillow inside it. Now she can lookout the window without needing to climb on the bins of fabric.

On to more creativeworks to share with you soon. It's nice to have the space to devote to it again.

3 comments:

Danielle said...

I wish I had a space that big to actually use as a studio! I am totally jealous... can you tell? LOL

The Feathered Nest said...

I love your creative space Julie!!! I love the "feel" of it...like it's a great place to be ~ thank you so much for sharing, I love it all!! xxoo, Dawn

feltonthefly said...

What a gorgeous and creative work space! I wouldn't get rid of any of the vintage items either since I'm a believer that old things have a story to tell. Even though we can't actually HEAR those stories, the thought can really be inspiring.