2.01.2010

Six-cylinder courtship on butterfly wings

Once again, I was going through books, photographing them
for Etsy and I came across this real stunner --
"A Six-Cylinder Courtship" by Edward Salisbury Field.

 
Every page, including the end papers shown here,
have children with huge butterfly wings.
I've never seen a book with such gorgeous
Art Nouveau decoration before.

The glossy paper full-color frontispiece (covered in tissue)
was by renowned artist Harrison Fisher.
The copy on the cover was what originally drew me to the book.

It was copyright in 1907 by The John McBride Company
and published in October by Grosset & Dunlap. 

The six black-and-white illustrations,
also on separate glossy paper, are by
another renowned artist Clarence F. Underwood.

Be sure to click on each image
to see better see the details of each.

1 comment:

The Feathered Nest said...

It IS beautiful Julie!!! I do love old illustrations ~ especially children's...these are gorgeous! I hope you're having a good week Julie, hugs and love, Dawn