2.23.2010

Ribbit ribbit

"When used this way, the word is slang,
and it is also a play on words.
It pays tribute to our amphibious friends, 
he frogs, and their choruses of "ribbit, ribbit, ribbit".
When you discover a mistake in your crochet work,
you rip it, rip it, rip it – hence, you frog it."

And for an inexpensive, endless source of yarn,
frogging old sweaters is the way to go.
It is environmentally friendly too.

 

A friend asked my if I could recreated something
from this holiday sweater that was once her late mother's.

  

I plan to make Christmas ornaments from the appliques
but in the meantime I frogged the plentiful yarn
from the back and the sleeves.


 I made 3 sweet little red scarves for 
3 sweet little girls, her granddaughters.

 

There are crocheted heart details on one end
with black buttons from the original sweater.


Each scarf is long and narrow
and there is enough yarn leftover to make more.

 

While thrifting last week,
I found three handmade sweater vests 
nd spent all of last weekend frogging them .
(Sorry the colors are so off.)


A sore hand and I now have 11 balls of yarn
waiting for me do decide on new projects.


You also never know what you will get
for cheap (or even free) just for the looking.
My sister was given 4 of these cones of sock yarn
for free at a garage sale recently.
She gave me one of each color.

2 comments:

bagsofblessing said...

Love your scarves. I found a similar holiday sweater at a thrift store last year, and made small drawstring gift bags out of the applique portion on the sweater. They sold very well.

Mommy Message said...

Hi, I love the scarves for the three granddaughters. What a treasure those will be for the girls to remember. What am extraordinary gift you have to make new from vintage. Just a lovely sentiment. I look forward to reading more.

Heather @MommyMessage